I love the beautiful design of all things Rohan and their cool spears are no exception!

Rohan_Spear001

After drawing up plans and started by lathing the central shaft of the headpiece.

Rohan_Spear002

I cut the blade out of a sheet of thin hobby plywood. The high points were framed out with pieces of basswood.

Rohan_Spear003

I could then form the bevels with Bondo.

Rohan_Spear004

The completed blade and shaft.

Rohan_Spear005

While all that was going on, I was also working on 3D sculpting the decorative rings on the base of the shaft. This one was out of Strata 3D’s capability but Terrence Ginnis (on Facebook) stepped up and generously sculpted this pattern for me.

Rohan_Spear006

The 3D printed rings back from Shapeways.

Rohan_Spear007

After cleanup and primer, I slipped them onto the master.

Rohan_Spear008

I trimmed out the center of the blade and flattened the sides of the shaft to join them.

Rohan_Spear009

The pieces glued together.

Rohan_Spear010

I had to do a little Bondo work to reconstruct the point…

Rohan_Spear011

…as well as removing any seams.

Rohan_Spear012

The completed master. It’s surprisingly big, almost a short sword.

Rohan_Spear013

I made a silicone mold and then made a copy in cold-cast aluminum.

Rohan_Spear018

I painted a base coat on each ring, one in brass, one in copper.

Rohan_Spear020

A wash of black brings out the detail.

Rohan_Spear021

The rest of the spear head was polished with 000 steel wool.

Rohan_Spear022

I drilled out a hole in the base for the shaft.

Rohan_Spear023

The drill bit wasn’t big enough so I enlarged the hole with the Dremel drum sander.

Rohan_Spear024

To give the connection some extra strength, I inserted a threaded rod.

Rohan_Spear025

I bought an 7′ ash spear shaft from an online medieval weapons dealer. After sanding, I stained it.

Rohan_Spear027

I glued on the spear head with epoxy, and hung it up with curtain rod brackets.

Rohan_Spear028

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers: