Progress was slow the last few weekends so I decided to save up everything for one larger post.

It was finally time to try out the new Rohan Spear mold. I dusted the mold with aluminum powder so I could cold-cast the head.

progress_2016-sep25_0001

I mixed up a small amount of resin and aluminum powder and poured it into the open faces.

progress_2016-sep25_0002

The mold was then sealed up and I topped it off. The first copy came out nearly flawless! Very little cleanup.

progress_2016-sep25_0003

I masked off one of the rings and painted it “brass”.

progress_2016-sep25_0004

The other ring was painted copper.

progress_2016-sep25_0005

To mount the head on the shaft, I needed to open up the base. I used a forester bit to drill a 1” deep hole.

progress_2016-sep25_0006

I then used a Dremel sanding drum to taper the hole to make the walls look thinner.

progress_2016-sep25_0007

I drilled a hole in the end of the ash spear shaft to allow a threaded rod. I sanded the end of the shaft so that it fit snugly into the spear head.

progress_2016-sep25_0008

Test fit of the spear head. I need to stain the wood before this is assembled.

progress_2016-sep25_0009

I also received an official replica of the Sons of the Harpy mask from Game of Thrones. The sculpt it really nice but the paint job is sloppy and awful! I decided to fix that.

progress_2016-sep25_0010

First to go is the elastic strap. I could be wrong, but I don’t think elastic is used in Essos.

progress_2016-sep25_0011

I gave the mask an overall base coat of Goldfinger paint. This was leftover from my Judge armor. The paint covers evenly but a single coat leaves a little of the original paint showing through. in this case, it adds depth.

progress_2016-sep25_0012

I applied a black-brown acrylic wash to bring out detail and texture. Here you can see the wash applied to the right side.

progress_2016-sep25_0014

Several coats of wash applied.

progress_2016-sep25_0015

with the paint done, I re-strung the edge wrap.

progress_2016-sep25_0016

I cut some leather strips to make the tie to keep it on my head. I think I can call this done!

progress_2016-sep25_0017

The mouth of the Sakura bird head is also a clear red resin so I needed to remove that part for a separate mold. Using a razor saw, I cut out the “teeth”

progress_2016-sep25_0018

I taped off the edges of the mouth, inserted the teeth. I applied some Bondo to fill the gap caused when I cut out this piece.

progress_2016-sep25_0019

The head and mouth are done and ready for molding!

progress_2016-sep25_0020

My Simpsons Alan Moore figure is also ready to mold.

progress_2016-sep25_0021

Here is the first test pour in the mold. The color is wonky as I was still trying to figure out the mix for “Simpsons Yellow”

progress_2016-sep25_0023

I finally got a good color and cast a copy for myself. The rings were hand painted (under a magnifying glass).

progress_2016-sep25_0024

The beard, hair, eyes and teeth were hand painted with acrylic craft paints.

progress_2016-sep25_0025

The pants and shoes were masked off and painted black. The buckle was hand painted with silver. Finally, I glued on the arms in a “I RULE THE WORLD” pose.

progress_2016-sep25_0026

The final figure, ready to join my collection.

progress_2016-sep25_0027

I also made some more progress on Combat Carl as well. I roughed in the major body parts and started the joints for the arm.

progress_2016-sep25_0029

The hand was a difficult sculpt in general but at least Carl’s fingers are fused. That simplified things a bit.

progress_2016-sep25_0030

The final hand.

progress_2016-sep25_0031

Tagged with →  

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers: