I’m trying something new this week. Since I have been so bad at blogging progress this year, I’ve decided that I will live tweet during my weekend build sessions and then post all the pictures here on the blog. By following along on twitter, you can see things as they happen but what you see here will not be purely repeating that. I plan to expand on details, add links and all that stuff. During the summer, I will be building from 6 am-noon, Arizona time. See you then!
Now on with the building!
The turntables that I’ve been using for painting have just about outlived their usefulness. There’s so much paint and primer on this thing that it barely moves.
This new fancy turntable was bought at Lowes. Look for “OXO 1-Tier Plastic Full Circle Tabletop Lazy Susan (Item #: 412173 | Model #: 1463380)“. It’s only $11.99. It is no longer this clean.
One of the commissioned builds on the work table now is a Toy Story Robot for an Australian collector. The wheels fit on the axles with a pressure fit…no glue necessary.
After the torso was painted with a base coat of blue, I masked off the bottom and painted it red.
Of course, I forgot to cut out the arm holes. I used a Dremel to carve out the opening and smooth the socket.
The forearm slides in the upper arm tube and then the claw can be attached.
The shoulders are inserted in the chest, held in place by the socket cups.
The sockets are hot glued on one side. This keeps the shoulders in place but leaves enough flex to allow full movement.
The jaw is seated on the neck and secured with a threaded lamp nipple. The wires for the electronics will feed though this tube.
The head is then glued to the jaw.
While the paint is drying, I applied a black wash to the cold cast Turtle stands.
After the wash dries, I give them a quick buffing with steel wool to bring out the metal shine. I didn’t bother to paint the letters for the rest of the characters.
For my Stormtrooper E-11 blaster, the last thing that I needed to add to the power cylinders were the wing tabs (in white). These are just small pieces of styrene.
Although the curly wires attaching the power cylinders to the Hengstler counter only appear in a few examples in A New Hope, I think they look cool and functional. I stripped off the black wire (from its red side), wrapped it around a file and heated it up with the heat gun to lock in the curl.
The wires then get a coat of black Plasti-Dip to hide the red.
The other commission in the shop is a build of my Caster Gun kit. I got the trigger installed last weekend so I can now seal up the grip and remove the seam with Bondo.
This awesome paint goes over a silver base coat. The final result is a deep, glossy shine!
Once the base coat had 24 hours to dry, I masked off the brown areas and painted the silver.
And, of course, once the epoxy set, I realized that one of the trigger guards wasn’t seated properly. The glue was still soft enough to pull everything apart.
Remember, there will be more live tweeting this Friday morning and all weekend!