During lunch last week, I decided to build more effective risers for my TNMT action figures. The old ones I built from MDF work well for the 3-3/4” figures but not for the bigger ones. I started with some black foam core and cut 2-3/8” strips.

Progress_2016_May22_001

Each strip was hot glued to each other.

Progress_2016_May22_002

Eventually you end up with something like this. I have enough room for three levels.

Progress_2016_May22_003

To support the shelves, I cut a few Tetris pieces to glue under the steps.

Progress_2016_May22_005

I whipped up a quick 3D model and applied a brick texture and some moulding. Not necessary but I thought it was appropriate for the Turtles.

Progress_2016_May22_006

Here it is in use. There are probably 1/2” too tall per step but it works.

Progress_2016_May22_007

I threw on a coat of black paint on the Rubies blasters.

Progress_2016_May22_008

The only other paint, besides weathering, I did was to paint the ejection port.

Progress_2016_May22_009

The hardest part of the Toy Robot kit is trimming the visor. I reviewed the video tutorial and then trimmed the first two edges.

Progress_2016_May22_010

Once the other side was trimmed, I could mark the bottom edge.

Progress_2016_May22_011

It took twenty-some trips to the belt sander but the visor finally fit.

Progress_2016_May22_012

I forgot what glue I used last time, so a quick test on a scrap confirmed that it was the Loctite plastic epoxy. It glues without hazing the clear plastic.

Progress_2016_May22_014

I vacuum formed the mouth dome from .010 PETG. Even with the tiny vac table, I can fit a second on there for next time.

Progress_2016_May22_013

I glued in the acrylic cabochon teeth and the mouth dome.

Progress_2016_May22_015

A quick test fit shows how a thin layer of paint makes a big difference. I had to open the holes in each shoulder before the arm would fit.

Progress_2016_May22_016

Glued in.

Progress_2016_May22_017

I glued on the handle, slipped on the tread and suddenly it’s done! It’s funny how the finish line sneaks up on you sometimes.

Progress_2016_May22_018

Back to the Caster Gun, I masked of the breach rails and cap to paint the breach itself an aluminum silver.

Progress_2016_May22_019

A quick coat of primer shows areas of the barrel seam that need cleaning up.

Progress_2016_May22_020

It took about 4 passes to remove the seam.

Progress_2016_May22_021

While primer and putty was drying, I hand painted the piping on the special shells.

Progress_2016_May22_022

To put the marking on the base of each shell, I applied the vinyl masking decal and used plastic wrap to cover the rest.

Progress_2016_May22_023

A quick shot of black paint finishes the job.

Progress_2016_May22_024

With the seam gone, I applied a base coat of Krylon Brown Boots. It will dry for a week, then I get to mask off the piping on the barrel and paint that. No fun at all.

Progress_2016_May22_025

Be sure to follow along on Twitter at @BlindSquirrelly this weekend for my live build sessions.

Tagged with →  

3 Responses to Progress Weekend May 20-22

  1. Shannon Brown says:

    Wow. You’re on the “next level” of custom stuff.

  2. Star says:

    If your arteclis are always this helpful, “I’ll be back.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers: