One of my Robot kit customers asked for a tutorial on trimming the head visor. It’s not as hard as you might think but you just have to be careful.

I was sent a sample of Barge cement to try out on my projects. This arrived just in time!

Progress_May17-001

I had just been over to Tandy leather and they had sold out of their supply which I needed to attach the screen cast knee pads to my new LeatherNext Judge uniform pants.

Barge is a contact cement which is applied to both sides of the glue seam. You let it dry and then press the seam together.

Progress_May17-002

Here is the final pad in place. It seems pretty strong and is only supposed to get stronger with time. I have Phoenix ComicCon coming up at the end of the month so we’ll see how it performs!

Progress_May17-003

I also used it on some risers that I’m making from old melamine coated shelving boards.

Progress_May17-004

The risers help to show the action figures at the back of the shelf no matter their size. I’ll be running a giveaway of Barge samples in the weeks ahead. Stay tuned!

Progress_May17-005

I realized that I had forgotten to make part of the Dothraki sword hilt – a rounded detail at the base of the blade. I chucked some basswood to the lathe and turned the piece.

Progress_May17-007

I applied coat of filler primer and polished the piece with a paper towel while it was still chucked. You can get a mirror finish in seconds effortlessly!

Progress_May17-008

I trimmed the piece from the rest of the wood block and cut a square hole to allow it to slide on the sword’s tang.

Progress_May17-009

A quick test fit!

Progress_May17-010

I puttied up the seam and gave everything a coat of semi-gloss paint. It went on heavier than I wanted so I’m getting some ripples. I kinda like it but will probably sand it smooth again.

Progress_May17-011

More progress next week!

Tagged with →  

One Response to Progress Weekend May 15-17

  1. […] lunch last week, I decided to build more effective risers for my TNMT action figures. The old ones I built from MDF work well for the 3-3/4” figures but not for the bigger ones. I started with some black foam core […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers: