I peeled off the protective paper from one side and glued down the border with epoxy. Then I used thick CA glue to attach each piece of the pattern.
Last week also saw the arrival of a Rohan horse’s head from Shapeways. The part was printed hollow and will be glued to the back of the axe head.
Once I got one side glued down, I couldn’t wait any longer and had to sand down the edge for the blade!
The acrylic didn’t lay down as well as I hoped as it crossed the curve near the handle. I ended up cutting off parts to heat them individually and glue them down. Bondo corrected some misalignment.
One side done, primered and a quick test fit of the horsie!
After the second side was glued down, I could sand the other edge. It’s a real axe now! Now I just have to clean up the detail before throwing it in rubber next weekend.
While I was working on that, I finally got around to finishing my Dredd helmets. I touched up the paint, gave them a good wet sanding and top coated them with a gloss clear coat.
To make the visor, I used scraps of .06 PETG from the Toy Story Robot build, heated them in the oven and draped them over a plastic bucket until cool.
I positioned the PETG in the helmet, secured it with a clamp and hot glued it in place.
I then applied some limo window tint to the top half of the visor.
The comic book helmet fits more snugly than the movie helmet, so I opted to line it with black felt.
I used some 1/4” foam and black headliner material to make small pads that I could glue to the temples inside the helmet. They help the helmet stay in place when worn.
I used 000 steel wool to buff a shine on the cold cast badge and then epoxied it in place.
Finally, I could wear the helmet I’ve wanted since I was 16!
Congratulations to David Derksen of Winnipeg, Canada for his winning entry in last October’s Dredd helmet contest. Sorry it took so long, brutha!