I made decent progress on my life-size Ninja Turtle this weekend. This go-around, I completely disassembled all the parts and puttied up the seams.

Progress_July13-001

In spite of the nice coat of green I had applied to the head, I pulled off the paint so I could start with the Krylon Fusion base coat. You can see how off the molded color of the plastic is. There’s no way I could let that stand.

Progress_July13-003

When I tried to glue the pieces together, the only adhesive I found that worked was JB Weld. Even though I wasn’t going for a completely eliminated seam, the Krylon base coat showed weird dimpled areas where plastic supports met the skin inside the arm. A coat of spot filler primer was enough to hide most of it.

Progress_July13-004

A final coat of my toy Story Snake paint gets the basic green on the part. Next I have to do the legs!

Progress_July13-005

I finished the mother mold for the Dothraki sword as well. Since I used Smooth-On Plasti-Paste, I decided to try out a finishing technique suggested to me by my friend Fev. Plastic-Paste is notorious for sharp spikes and edges on the surface that will poke you and rip up rubber gloves while you work with the mold. Fev suggested using facial tissue to cover the material after you lay it down. All it takes is a single ply and it smooths out the rough spots. The whole mold was sorted with a couple of sheets of Kleenex!

Progress_July13-007

I needed to add some more shelf real estate in my office/display room/museum. I bought a bunch of the cheap Wal-Mart book cases to make new display units. Best of all, I got them delivered to my house in 4 days for $4.95. Of course, If I wanted to pay to get them a day earlier, it would only cost $480 for delivery. Guess who waited the extra day?

Progress_July13-008

Here is the basic 72”x24”x10” unit without the adjustable shelves.

Progress_July13-009

I stacked on the back of another so that the edges aligned.

Progress_July13-010

I screwed the side of one unit into the back edge of the best at several points. The screw heads were then covered with white plastic screw caps.

Progress_July13-011

The back of the base was secured with angle brackets.

Progress_July13-012

The back of the top was secured with a mending plate.

Progress_July13-013

The result was two L-shaped units.

Progress_July13-014

These were aligned and secured to each other.

Progress_July13-015

Both tower display units finished! Now to fill them up!

Progress_July13-017

Tagged with →  

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers: