Late last week while I was referenceing color for the Toy Story Robot, I discovered that the eyes actually have an extra layer on them. Just when I finished molding them, of course! I retrieved my masters and added another disc of MDF so I could make a new mold.

progress001

I was also able to pull my roto-cast copy of the robot’s chest. Even though I had to cut the mold in two places to de-mold the master, the copy barely has a seam.

progress002

I still had one piece to make and mold, a bracket that would hold the shoulder in the chest but, still allow it to rotate. The first step was to cut out the holes for the arms to stick out.

progress004

A test fit showed that arm assembly will stick out like so.

progress005

And it has full rotation as I planned.

progress006

It reminds me or a Dalek arm. This experience will come in handy when I finally get around to building one.

progress007

And of course, the arm will telescope back into itself! The rubber claw will attach to the nub at the end of the arm.

progress008

I used up every bit of resin I had on hand and was almost able to make 5 sets of parts (one for me, four for the clients). With more on the way, I’ll be able to finish casting next weekend and start building!!!

progress003

Tagged with →  

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers: