Last weekend, I got to painting the Mr potato Head eyes. I lucked out and found a Testers model paint that almost EXACTLY matched the MPH toy.
I hand painted the eyebrow and then cut black vinyl for the pupil. I did attempt to paint the pupil but it proved nearly impossible to line up the hole on that curved surface. The vinyl allowed me to reposition it until it was right.
Here they are attached to the toy. The two versions of the eyes allow you to mix and match them for different expressions. The eye pegs are off center by necessity so with some expressions have the eyes too close.
I also finished painting the mouth insert for my life-size Michelangelo.
Mouth glued in place.
I finished Combat Carl’s head, combined both halves and prepared to add thickness to the mesh for printing.
It was then that I noticed that Carl’s hairline was wrong. I made that correction and few other minor tweaks.
Back when the model was still primitive, I saved a low polygon insert. I flipped the polygons (yes, it makes a difference as to which way they “face”), positioned it inside the new model and then combined the geometry.
Here you can see how the two sides are stitched together. Printing it with a 1.5mm shell saves big money.