My Mr Potato Head eyes prototype finally made it home to Australia. He’s a little wall-eyed but I think it looks great. There seems to be interest in this item so I will be making a kit version.

Progress_2016-Aug28_0001

I started the weekend by cutting the profile of the blade of the spear out of 1/8” plywood and adding balsa ridges to guide the Bondo.

Progress_2016-Aug28_0002

I glopped Bondo in between the guides and used the curved edge of a mixing stick to form the fuller.

Progress_2016-Aug28_0003

A quick coat of primer shows everything so far.

Progress_2016-Aug28_0004

I cut off the end of the head shaft so the 3D printed decorative bits could just slide back on.

Progress_2016-Aug28_0005

I flattened the sides of the shaft tip so the blade can glue to an even surface.

Progress_2016-Aug28_0006

A test fit of the parts.

Progress_2016-Aug28_0007

I masked off the blade so I could complete the tip of the shaft with a helping of Bondo.

Progress_2016-Aug28_0008

Once the tip was sorted, I glued in the shaft and Bondo’ed the seam.

Progress_2016-Aug28_0009

After a quick sanding and coat of primer, the spear head construction is done. Still some cleanup to do before I make a mold, though.

Progress_2016-Aug28_0010

I also wanted to re-make the mold for the Sakura bird head wand tip. I’ll want to pressure cast the beak and mouth in clear resin so I needed to separate those parts.

Progress_2016-Aug28_0011

The beak was cut off with a band saw and I inserted an aluminum tube to act as a post.

Progress_2016-Aug28_0012

Because it would be almost impossible to line up the post with a hole and still have everything line up, I decided to work around the problem. The drilled a much larger hole in the head side. Now the post I can be inserted and you can move it around for proper orientation.

Progress_2016-Aug28_0013

To make a tight fit, I masked off the beak and sprayed it with mold release to keep any Bondo from sticking to that side. I glopped some Bondo into the giant hole, combined the parts where I wanted them and when I removed the beak, the Bondo filled in any excess hole, leaving a perfect, tight fit!

Progress_2016-Aug28_0014

Now, the head side was masked off and I glopped Bondo on the beak side. When I smushed the parts together, the Bondo fills the gap (mostly).

Progress_2016-Aug28_0015

Once sanded, the parts lock tightly together! I will also be cutting out the mouth and making a new insert for it.

Tagged with →  

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers: