After finishing Mikey’s head last weekend, it was time to make his new mask. I used packing paper to make a template.
I found large sheets of thin EVA foam online and used the template to cut the new mask.
Test fit of the new mask. It’s a big change from the original rubber mask with printed eyes.
I had to include extra foam so that there would be enough length to tie the knot. For once, I was completely accurate!
The TV show has very subtle weathering on the mask which I duplicated with washes of acrylic.
In order to store his nunchucks on his belt, I had to make foam inserts.
These were contact cemented into the loops.
The nunchucks slipped into the belt loops.
Here’s a series of before and after shots. It’s a big difference!
I clayed up my Simpsons Alan Moore figure and poured the first half of the silicone mold.
I also started a new project that has long been on my short list: A Rohan cavalry spear from The Two Towers.
I lathed a central head shaft from some spruce I had sitting around. I should have used basswood as the grain is much finer. Spruce will be more work to remove the grain.
And finally, I started on the 3D model for Combat Carl’s torso. I’ll be basing the stylization of his musculature on 80’s era 12″ G.I. Joes.
I got everything roughed in in about an hour.