Hey everyone! Remember me? My lack of posting is a little embarrassing but there’s occasionally real life stuff that gets in the way of building. That being said, here’s what I was able to get done!


The final step on this project was to glue the spear head onto the shaft. The master for the spear head turned out to be a bit crooked but it was close enough (i.e. not worth re-doing).


I bought some curtain rod holders and bent them wider to match the diameter of the shaft.


When last I posted, I had cut spikes for the helmet’s visor. I cut top and bottom strips and heat-formed them to fit the helmet,


After a coat of primer, a test fit.


I couldn’t find nails with the proper diameter for rivets so I bought round-headed screws and filled the slots with epoxy putty.


Some quick sanding removes the slots.


The length was cut off with a Dremel cutoff wheel.


I drilled holes and glued in the rivets.


Test fit of the master on a resin copy. My mold didn’t turn out great so there was some cleanup on the helmet. Since this was a one-off, it wasn’t worth re-molding.


I cast a copy of the visor in cold-cast aluminum, polished it up and then weathered it.


The painted helmet with the mounted visor.


Even though Brian Bolland drew Judge Death’s helmet clean and shiny, I didn’t think it fit the concept of an undead Judge. I added a misting of spray paint to simulate dust, and beat up the finish with scratches and rust. From a distance it looks basically like Brian’s version.





I continued to work on the sculpting for the prototype. Once it came time to refine the chest, it occurred to me that I could approach it in two different, but legitimate, ways.

Since the Toy Story of Terror disc had an 80’s-era PSA (in the style of the GI Joe cartoon), it can be argued that Carl was a toy of that time and the sculpting of his muscles should reflect that.


The other approach would be to sculpt him with more realistic anatomy.


After consulting with the clients, I decided to go retro. Once his vest is on, you won’t see any of that sculpting anyway. I sculpted it symmetrically but I needed to separate the front from the back so the seam would be on the sides. I duplicated the part and used Strata’s boolean operations to subtract a block from half of each piece.


Once separated, I added a 1.5mm thickness to the insides for printing at Shapeways.


Once placed together, the seam is on the sides.


The arm and leg joints will be made with two pieces. The outer ring will be visible on the assembled toy so I’ll cast them in the same color resin as the rest of the parts. The post will be printed at Shapeways for maximum strength.


The two parts will be glued together and connect to pins on either side of the joint.


The pin will nest into the hole of the socket.


The joints for the forearm and wrist. You get the idea.


To test this untried concept, I send off for a few prints at Shapeways. The turnaround was amazingly fast, especially around the holidays!


I taped together the parts and everything fit like I hoped! I eventually made some tweaks to help range of motion and to prevent hyperextension.



I’m continuing to refine detail on the rest of the parts before I print another batch.

Tagged with →  

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers: