I get all the DK Star Wars books and love the cutaways of these things that don’t actually exist. Since I have a Stormtrooper helmet, I decided to ultra detail it, even though very few people will ever see it.

Progress_2017-2-27_01

I sprayed the inside with with Plastidip which not only gives the surface a nice flat appearance, I’m told that it also helps with any echo when wearing it. The original eyes lenses were made with a single strip running across both eye holes. I cut out lenses and glued them in place. Finally, I added a foam border to match the DK illustration.

Progress_2017-2-27_02

I drew up plans for the interior ear mechanism and printed them out as a building template. I could’ve 3D printed this part but I decided to go old-school and just freehand build it.

Progress_2017-2-27_03

Both sides were cut from 1/4″ MDF.

Progress_2017-2-27_04

The next layer was cut from 1/8″ acrylic.

Progress_2017-2-27_05

The top layer was cut from scrap styrene.

Progress_2017-2-27_07

A piece of styrene caps off the end.

Progress_2017-2-27_09

To finish the pieces, holes were drilled around the edges. Both pieces were molded for later casting in flexible foam.

Progress_2017-2-27_10

I used some packing foam to prototype the interior padding of the helmet.

Progress_2017-2-27_11

Here are all the pieces test fit into the helmet. I’ll use these as a pattern to cut out of a 3/4″ foam sheet.

Progress_2017-2-27_12

Back on Combat Carl’s boot, I placed and corrected spacing on the lace grommets.

Progress_2017-2-27_13

The final modeled laces.

Progress_2017-2-27_15

And so his boots don’t come untied, the bows are tucked into the top of the boot.

Progress_2017-2-27_16

To prep the boots (and other parts) for printing, I split the parts in half and added a 1.5mm thickness.

Progress_2017-2-27_17

The final action figure. I’ll re-print the hand, wrist and forearm after tweaking the parts. I’ll print the pelvis and one leg to test those parts before printing the complete figure.

Progress_2017-2-27_19

I also did a little painting on my 30″ Big Figs K2-SO. I didn’t want to go crazy making it more accurate but I felt that adding the silver at the joints and on his face was needed.

Progress_2017-2-27_20

Masking this for painting was SUCH a pain!

Progress_2017-2-27_21

The joint discs were hand painted.

Progress_2017-2-27_22

Tagged with →  

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers: