I saw some interesting tutorials on making props and costumes with hot glue and cardboard so I decided to try it out. The Witchking Helm has been on my build list for a long time and its simple shapes seemed doable in cardboard.

witchking_old01

I used wooden dowels sharpened on the belt sander to make the spikes.

witchking_old02

To get a rough forged texture, I coated the cardboard with Bondo filler.

witchking_old03

I sanded the surface mostly smooth, leaving voids exposed to simulate corrosion or damage.

witchking_old04

I glued on the spikes with a dollop of hot glue.

witchking_old05

I used epoxy putty to make the base of the spikes, texturing the putty with coarse sandpaper.

witchking_old06

I painted a base coat of black over the entire helm.

witchking_old07

I used an iron based paint, leaving black exposed in the recessed areas.

witchking_old08

I went over the helm with a wash of black to accent the recessed areas more.

witchking_old09

A final drybrushed coat of silver pulls it all together. Edges are hit with a highlight of silver to simulate scuffed metal.

witchking_old10

The final helmet modeled on my head casting. I made a black hood to be worn under it hide my face. Visibility is not too bad.

witchking_old11

Detail view.

witchking_old12

Detail view.

witchking_old13

Side view.

witchking_old14

Back view.

witchking_old15

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers: