This gun is from the 1976 sci-fi film “Logan’s Run”. I was able to find some very detailed plans online, including WORKING acetylene blasting models (as in the film)! I used plans from the original prop maker, Richard Coyle. It’s rare when you can find any sort of detailed specs, so this was a joy to work on.

sandman_old_01

First, I cut out the grip halves and trigger according to the plans. I used .08 sheet styrene laminated to build the right thickness. The muzzle was cut out of PVC and beveled on the end by attaching it to a drill, turning it into a makeshift lathe.

sandman_old_02

I wanted to be able to pull the trigger so I took a spring from a crappy ball point pen and inserted it under the trigger (deviating from specs).

sandman_old_03

The Receiver tube and gas cannister are stock PVC parts cut to size. There is a small barrel hidden within the muzzle shroud…for that I used the barrel of an old dried up marker. The knob at the end of the gas cannister is laminated styrene. The stage came together pretty fast, so I don’t have photos of the assembly.

sandman_old_04

I then airbrushed the interior of the muzzle. For final painting with spray paint, I didn’t want to miss or overpaint any of these confined areas. The receiver tube was epoxied to the grip and puttied to hide the seam. I cut out the grip plates from sheet styrene and sanded them to shape.

sandman_old_05

I masked off the trigger and the interior of the muzzle and gave all the parts 5 coats of primer, sanding where needed.

sandman_old_06

I made the ignition plug (below the muzzle) according to the plans but it just looked like a spark plug. Since mine didn’t have to work, I scrapped the part and rebuilt it using a plastic wall anchor and a metal dowel. It is the same size as the original part, retains the spirit of the original but looks more futuristic.

sandman_old_07

Same situation on the arming switch in front of the trigger. The original plans call for a toggle switch. I adapted a bolt for a decorative substitution.

sandman_old_08

The final paint for the grip plates was Krylon gloss black (many coats). The rest of the gun was painted with semi-gloss black (Also many coats). Krylon suggests that spray paint be given 5 to 7 days to cure, so I waited to epoxy on the grips. The grip plates look strange only coming up halfway, but I was surprised how comfortable they were when assembled! Very solid hold and a ambidextrous thumb rest.

sandman_old_09

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers: