I was commissioned to make the “Sealing Wand” from the manga and anime series Card Captor Sakura (aka Cardcaptors). In the series, the Bird headed top changes to…

sakura001

…A star in a ring with tiny wings! Magic, folks!

sakura002

I built half of the star head in 3D, keeping a 1mm wall to save on printing costs at Shapeways.

sakura003

The base of the staff was modeled the same way.

sakura004

Three weeks later I get a lovely 3D printed star head!

sakura01

View of the inside of the base. 3D printed objects has a pebbled texture to them that will need to be sanded down before molding.

sakura03

I was unsuccessful in building a model for the bird head so I decided to make my master from MDF.

sakura04

I made the wings from 1/4″ MDF and carved out the layers of feathers with Dremel, chisels and blades.

sakura05

The bird head sculpting finished and ready for smooth sanding.

sakura07

The staff was made from a 1″ oak dowel. I inserted a 1/2″ dowel in the end to attach the tip and flared both ends with Bondo, guided by a slightly larger MDF disc.

sakura16

I added a threaded insert so the interchangeable heads could be attached with a threaded rod.

sakura18

The final staff ready for painting.

sakura19

To attach the wings to the head and make sure they were straight, I cut 1/4″ MDF discs that would fit in the eye socket.

sakura08

Half of the disc was glued to the back of the wing and half was glued into the eye socket. Together they make a tight, consistently angled fit.

sakura09

The eye trim was lathed from 1/4″ MDF checked to the drill press.

sakura13

The eye trim is glued to each wing master.

sakura14

The master for the eye gem was made by cutting off the tip of an old space shuttle model’s fuel tank. I knew there was a reason I kept this for 20 years!

sakura10

The surface was sanded smooth in preparation for molding.

sakura11

Resin gems with silver mylar glued to the back. The mylar brightens the appearance of the resin.

sakura12

A test fit of all the bird head components.

sakura15

I made a mold of the staff tip half, made two resin copies and glued them together.

sakura21

The new master ready for molding.

sakura22

The star head mold and the first resin copy from it. There’s a few dents to putty up but overall pretty clean. I later made a new mold so I could get dent-free pristine copies.

sakura23

Two halves of the star head glued together, seam filled and ready for painting.

sakura25

Base coat of pink with white wings painted.

sakura26

While I was at it, I made a mold for future copies. This piece will makes flared ends for the staff.

sakura17

The final assembled star wand!

sakura28

Close-up of the head.

sakura27

Final assembled bird head version.

sakura32

Closeup of the happy birdie.

sakura31

You can download plans here: SakuraWands

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers: